It seems many parents have a difficult time with their children being consistent on brushing their teeth or even at all. Here are some creative ways to get kids involved in brushing their teeth.
- Get them involved. Take a trip to the store and have them pick out their own toothbrush and toothpaste. This will make them feel like it is their choice to participate as well as setting a good example with your own oral care.
- Set a fun timer. Choose a song to sing or play a “toothbrush song” that keeps them occupied while brushing. Songs such as the birthday song, or let them choose a song that you play for them while they brush. This helps pass the time to reach that 1-2 minute goal!
- Create a fun holder for them. Choose a hard plastic toy such as a dinosaur and drill holes into it to make a fun toothbrush holder that they look forward to seeing each day. It will get them excited about the process.
- Trying different toothpastes. Whether it is a different flavor or character on the toothpaste bottle, this can create new excitement to them and enjoy brushing their teeth.
- Having multiple toothbrushes allowing them to have options to which one they want to use. Letting them have some control over the task of brushing will encourage them.
- Offering rewards. It doesn’t have to be anything extravagant. Letting them choose a book to read before bedtime or having a sticker chart and after so many stickers giving them some sort of toy. Don’t look at it as a bribe but just motivation for them to get into the good habit of healthy oral care.