Root Canal Therapy
At Ericson Dental, we strive to save a tooth from extraction whenever possible. However, advanced tooth decay is a serious problem. A decaying tooth can lead to dangerous infections in the pulp of your tooth, a damaged jawbone, and lifelong health and dental problems. If a root canal is recommended, it can save a tooth from extraction by removing the tooth decay and sealing the tooth to prevent any further decay.
What is a Root Canal?
Inside every tooth is a pulp chamber containing nerves and the tooth’s blood supply. When the pulp becomes infected or damaged, it must be removed. Root canals work to relieve dental pain and save your natural tooth from extraction.
During a root canal, your dentist will:
- Carefully remove the infected tooth “pulp” from inside the problematic tooth
- Clean, disinfect, and shape the canal of your root
- Seal the tooth canal
- Protect your tooth with a long-lasting porcelain dental crown that will blend in naturally with your smile
Do I Need Root Canal Therapy?
When caught early on, tooth decay can be treated with a small filling. However, left untreated decay can spread and invade the pulp and root, causing infections, inflammation, and abscesses.
The best way to know if you’re suffering from advanced decay is by talking with your dentist.
Signs of a problematic tooth often include:
- Chronic sensitivity to hot and cold
- Pain when chewing, especially on one side of the mouth
- Visible chips, cracks or fractures
At Ericson Dental, we’ve performed hundreds of root canals and we use modern technology to ensure the procedure is as non-invasive and pain-free as possible. If you think you may be in need of a root canal in Lompoc, CA, call our office today to set up a consultation!